[hackerspaces] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Al Jigong Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Tue Apr 3 07:00:12 CEST 2012

On Monday, April 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Doug Philips wrote:
> Oh, and this is pretty fracking hilarious given the innate tendency of
> hackerspaces to want to weaponize (lasers, rockets, etc.) most things
> and there seems to be no shortage of fiery death dealing dinosaurs and
> other easily repurposed projects either. Too bad the maker movement
> doesn't have a pacifist non-violent leg to stand on, but I know few in
> my makerspace would be there if we had that stance.

No one spoke about pacifism unless you think not wanting to be in the pocket of the DoD is pacifism.

DARPA is making an effort to coopt the Maker movement on a number of fronts. Some are by involvement with Maker Faire and by grants for projects at hackerspaces (with strings attached, of course). Others are by funding programs at schools. It all serves to both legitimize DARPA and to associate it with Makers. Some of us don't want that. If you want that, fine, but please show some respect for other viewpoints.

> Oh well. In the end it seems the facts (as yet laid out) don't really
> matter here.

Well, when you lay out some actual facts, maybe they'll matter.

Al