[hackerspaces] Pirating Linux

John de Largentaye john at largentaye.org
Tue Apr 3 01:19:34 CEST 2012

"Pirating" Linux (violating the GPL license) is a problem. Some prior art:

- the TiVo Digital Video Recorder (DVR) device uses Linux at its core.
That doesn't mean you can hack the code. (look up "tivoisation")
- The whole openwrt project started after a Linksys released the
source code of their Linux-based WRT54G router in 2002. There was some
drama when a company tried to make a proprietary derivative
withholding sourcecode.
- My favorite ISP from my former country, Free, revolutionized the ISP
business by being (among?) the first to provide triple-play: TV, Phone
and Internet via a  set-top-box based on Linux, the Freebox. They do
tivoisation too, and had some run-ins with the FSF-EU because they
refused to release source code, claiming a) it was unmodified so you
could get it from the original source and b) you couldn't modify your
Freebox anyhow. They since provide patches at
http://floss.freebox.fr/, though you still can't modify the Freebox.

The whole basic argument of the FSF's controversial copyright
assignement policy is to strengthen their position when somebody
violates the GPL.

In Germany, Harald Welte has been having some success fighting these
pirates with http://gpl-violations.org/

HTH,
John