[hackerspaces] Idea: Mini-Camps in even years

James Arlen myrcurial at thinkhaus.org
Fri Sep 2 16:06:46 CEST 2011

Ahh yes, I totally agree about the eastern seaboard of North America (including Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec in that) but then us crazy Canadians come into the mix - driving from Toronto west, just to get out of Ontario takes about 26 hours - just over 1900km -- and driving west from Toronto to the next city of approximately 1 million people (Calgary) is ~3500km and nearly 45 hours.

The population density of Canada is nearly all in 4 major pockets (Montreal, Toronto/Mississauga/Hamilton, Calgary/Edmonton and Vancouver) and driving between those four (east to west) is ~5600km and 3 days of driving.

Hitting three of the four European cities that are larger than the largest Canadian city is going to be 1800km in about 20 hours of driving!

The difference in distances just boggles my mind -- in Canada, you have to drive for 3 days to see ~18 million people. In Europe, you can see more than ~40 million in one day.

Of course, this is from someone who commutes 150km to get to and from work every day.

:)

James Arlen
myrcurial at thinkhaus.org
289-441-1407