[hackerspaces] Career Networking

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Fri Oct 7 12:11:43 CEST 2011

On 10/04/2011 07:27 PM, David Powell wrote:
> I imagine that many of us share the same skills and we probably have
> similar careers. We all have our own reason for looking for new jobs. Is
> there any way we could make it easier for the members of hackerspaces to
> network when it comes to job searching? I would like to hear your thoughts
> on the subject.

I am not sure that something special is necessary. The people I know
through hackerspaces end up in my social networks just like other people I
know. However, I think that past experience is far more important than
membership at a hackerspace. Someone who has attended 3 different
hackerspaces and achieved nothing there (sadly, a bit like me) deserves no
advantage over a guy who has been active in several projects outside of any
hackerspace.

But I must admit that a part of me dreams that we become a freemason
illuminati cabal, promoting each others and embedding gliders in every
symbol we can find.