[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 23:45:14 CET 2011

I am a hacker.  I am a geek.  I am queer.  I use words to define aspects of myself.  Words can be empowering.  I consciously use words to empower myself, and share my enthusiasm with others.  Choose your own words consciously for your purposes.

I love communicating with people.  And I love communicating through media -- even mainstream media.  People who really enjoy communicating will gladly let me share my enthusiasm for hackerspaces, and consider a different definition from what they've heard from the mainstream media (the only place they've probably ever heard the term "hacker" till then).  Saying I'm part of a hackerspace is a great way to pique peoples' curiosity.  And media -- especially mainstream media -- loves "controversy".  And just saying the word "hacker" or "hackerspace" smacks of "controversy" (and the quotes are important, since there really is no controversy).  I use these words all the time in the mainstream media -- and they *eat* *it* *up*!  And they give me free reign to tell *my* version of those words.  And the mainstream media coverage of hackerspaces has been nothing but positive.  And that's because of all of the incredibly way cool people doing incredibly way cool things -- and with incredible enthusiasm -- and simply because we love it!

Use your words with enthusiam, with compassion, with passion.  My experience is incredibly, overwhelmingly positive.

Best,
Mitch.