[hackerspaces] Finding Donors

Ron Bean makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com
Wed Nov 23 14:19:47 CET 2011

Will Bradley <will at heatsynclabs.org> writes:

>One last perk is that only a real bastard would slight a 501c3
>educational nonprofit; various people have threatened to sue us and
>the whole community just stares at them like they're insane.

What kinds of issues have you had that would lead people to threaten a
lawsuit?

BTW MilwaukeeMakerspace does not own any assets, all of our equipment is
leased from members for $1/year. A lawsuit might put us out of business,
but the plaintif wouldn't get anything out of it.

Part of what has kept us from pursuing 501c3 status is the requirement
to maintain an educational program. We do a bit of that here and there,
but a full program would take too much time and effort away from our own
projects.