[hackerspaces] Merchant Service Account Reccomendations

Neil hackspc at narwani.org
Tue Nov 1 12:24:10 CET 2011

Hi all,

New to this list and still lurking, until I get around to an intro.
However, some quick notes re: merchant accounts...

Beware: there are 2 general rates you get charged at -- the base rate
and the corp/rewards/int'l rate.  The latter is higher and applies to
any international CC, corporate CC, and any CC where the card-holder
gets any form or reward (cash back, miles, points, etc).  And the
catchy low rate is if you physically swipe the card vs. keying it in
via a virtual terminal (website such as authorize.net).

In theory, I was supposed to be paying 2.9% base rate and a bit higher
for the corp/int'l/rewards cards, but in practice (from bank
statements) it seems that in the past year over 95% of my transactions
are charged at the higher rate, and that works out to be ~5.9% (!!!).
Remember there's a flat per-transaction charge also.

Most will accept MC/Visa/Disc, and Amex is usually separate/higher.

Don't forget to ask about monthly fees, annual fees (yes, some have
both), chargeback fees, refund fees (yes, some charge a percentage to
issue a refund), statement fees, batch fees (daily for sending the
money to you account), and minimums.

I've been shopping for a new processor again, and so far Chase seems
to be one of the better ones, at 2.25% + $0.20 for either base or
corp/int'l/rewards cards.  I have a list of different rates/fees/etc
from a handful of other companies and can get it for you when I get
back.

Cheers,
-Neil.