[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces away from the city

Jerry Isdale isdale at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 08:42:53 CEST 2011

Walter - yes we currently have a single 40ft HiCube aluminum shipping container with some vent turbines.  We've been promised (and negotiating for) a 40x40 space so we can put in a 2nd container and roof over space between.  There are pics in our flickr sets - http://www.flickr.com/photos/mauimakers/sets - look at "Maker Benches" and "Leveling Container 1".  Last week some street artists (Prime & Dmize) visited and gave us some art work on the side (see PrimeAndDmize set).

Ryan - a picnic or "pot luck" dinner (bring to share) would be a good way to get people together. The A&P show may be a good place to find people. (we have both an AgFest and a county fair here.)  It sounds like you have a good collection of possible people. We have a mix of agricultural and high tech people.  There is some good cross over in areas like aquaponics, green house control, welding, metal forming, etc.

You might consider a maker "Learn to Solder" table at the A&P show - some TVBgone or similar.  The council member who organizes t(w)een activities might be good contact to get onboard with teaching skillz to kids... grow the next gen hackers!

Jerry Isdale
http://MauiMakers.com
http://www.mauimakers.com/blog/thursday-public-meeting/