[hackerspaces] A New Hacker Has Joined Your Party!

Ron Bean bucketworks at rbean.users.panix.com
Sat Jan 15 03:10:58 CET 2011

Ross Smith <rsmith at i3detroit.com> writes:

>We have two monthly rates at i3Detroit - $40 and $90 monthly.
[...]
>Our membership practically quadrupled after introducing the lower
>rate, which brings certain joys and troubles as you can imagine.  One
>thing has shown itself, though - just because a member pays a lower
>amount per month does not necessarily mean they have a lesser
>commitment to the organization.  Members who pay at the lower tier
>often share a substantial amount of equipment, teach classes, organize
>events - and *find more members*.

This is interesting; we've discussed having two levels of membership,
but we haven't figured out how to do it yet. Do your $40 members have
different privileges than the $90 members?

The gamble is that if you lower the rate and don't generate enough
memberships, then you cease to exist and everyone loses. But the same
is true if the rate is too high.

Our space is open to the public on tuesday and thursday nights (general
meeting and electronics night, respectively), and sometimes open on
saturdays, depending on who's there. We don't usually discourage anyone
from hanging out.