[hackerspaces] A New Hacker Has Joined Your Party!

Ross Smith rsmith at i3detroit.com
Thu Jan 13 20:33:42 CET 2011

> I think this is a fantastic idea and probably warrants a separate thread.
> Our recent mayor, here in San Antonio, is one that "gets it" and is trying
> to build the city from the ground up with local businesses instead of the
> traditional way of making a bunch of promises to giant corporations and
> having them move in. I've been trying to talk him and other council members
> about how hackerspaces can help build the community from the ground up by
> letting people learn and create.

Yes.  This is very much what we talk about in our space.  It get the
impression that a lot of hackerspaces are not totally above-boards
with their local cities or municipalities; they are missing out on a
chance to build up that relationship.  (That said, you do have to play
by more rules if you want to be on good terms with the mayor, fire
marshal, and city inspector!)  The mayor of our city (Ferndale) wants
to get to know us better, I know, and wants his city to be known for
attracting spaces like i3.  I'm glad to hear that this is well
underway already in San Antonio - you're on a good track!

What sort of luck have you had so far?  Any trepidation from the
council members, or just a desire to understand our spaces better?

--
Ross Smith
i3Detroit President

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually
right." -- Henry Ford