[hackerspaces] Wikipedia user suggesting deleting loads of Hackerspaces!

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Mon Feb 21 09:53:12 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:36:09PM -0600, Deech wrote:
> I'm not even sure why it's such a damn struggle sometimes. These cowboy
> deletionistas are rampant, you can't do anything about it. The other dude
> already got the CCCKC page deleted.
>
> I don't even bother trying to fight with wikinazis anymore.

One thing that popped up in our space (where we started thinking about drafting
a wikipedia lemma a few weeks ago) was the question 'why?'. What does it add to
have a wikipedia page?? There are voices among us who say it does not have any
value in attracting new members or make ourselves more known. People interested
in a hackerspace near them will almost certainly go to hackerspaces.org after
reading the general lemma on hackerspaces, and find us there.

This is why the wikipedia page is currently very low priority on our list of
things to do, even though we've made the local off-line news and international
online press a significant number of times. It's just not worth the effort.

- gmc