[hackerspaces] Wikipedia user suggesting deleting loads of Hackerspaces!

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sun Feb 20 00:51:22 CET 2011

As others have noticed, lots of hackerspaces on wikipedia are suggested
for deletion.

I noticed it first for the hackerspace I'm a member of, TOG in Dublin,
Ireland. The article was lacking decent sources, so I've researched and
updated it a lot now. (That's one benefit from this, I've managed to
improve that wikipedia article a lot (I think))

I've written up my dealings so far

http://www.technomancy.org/hackerspace-wikipedia-delete/

The wikipedia editor suggesting it, has made some strange claims, and
seems to want to delete all hackerspaces. He seems to think hackerspaces
are all in some big conspiracy. I added some sources to other
hackerspaces (e.g. when we did the cupcake challenge) and he thought
they were unsuitable, since "Artifactory is a hackerspace site, so it's
not independent of the subject. Same with 091Labs."

If you have a hackerspace on wikipedia, you should check it out, see if
you need to add any sources, is that article lacking. This might be a
good thing for your hackerspace. Since I spruced up the TOG article,
I've realised how much many of our members have done!

If you're a wikipedia expert, could you have a look at that article and
the AfD page for it
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/TOG_(hackerspace)).
Do you have any advice to give on improving the article, any feedback?
I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right and would appreciate feedback.

Happy Hacking

Rory