[hackerspaces] What's your recording setup?

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Mon Feb 14 20:16:51 CET 2011

Hey Mo,

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 12:11:17PM -0500, Mo Morsi wrote:
> Slightly different, but in the same vein as recording talks, we
> setup a live feed using an Axis 205 webcam at the Syracuse
> Innovators Guild. You can check it out here
>
> http://sig315.org/live-feed/
>
> I'm curious as to the hackerspace community's thoughts on live
> feeds. Part of me says its a cool feature, but part of me says its a
> bit too invasive. Obviously we're recording the video for a limited
> time for security purposes, but not sure if we want to keep this
> video stream public. Thoughts?

We've got something of the same going on:

http://cam1.revspace.nl/
http://cam2.revspace.nl/

The cams don't cover the entire space though. We're still undecided whether
they are a good thing or not. There are good things about it: you can check if
there's people in the space and what they're up to, helping you in your
decision whether to come over or not. On the other hand, they're kinda public
and we sometime feel watched.

I took them down for a while, but that resulted in complaints 'hey put em back'.

I'd like to see a logon to them, so only members can watch the cams, but so
far no-one has stepped up to implement that. So I guess it doesn't really
bother anyone :)

- gmc