[hackerspaces] What's your recording setup?

Koen Martens gmc at har2009.org
Sat Feb 12 13:51:02 CET 2011

Hey,

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 01:41:40PM +0100, Hans Fraiponts wrote:
> Hi, for my local hackerspace I'd like to record talks.
> I have a few usb webcams, a microphone and a computer.
> I'd like to be able to switch between cams, set the audio to
> microphone and I'd like the output to be recorded to harddrive.
> Just like the professionals ;-)
> Does anyone know an open source toolchain that would allow me to do so?
>
> If not how do you handle recordings in your space?

We so far only have recorded audio, for which we have an awesome setup
(the signal studio, sponsored by the Hxx foundation) of around 12 mics,
mixing desk with compression and digitizer, wireless mic, lots of xlr
cables and microphone stands.

As for video, you might want to look into the debconf setup, which is one
of the more notable ones.

Meanwhile, i've started a project to create a complete kit for video streaming
and recording for community events:

https://revspace.nl/EventStreamingKit

Goal is to have a drop-in kit with cams, encoding machine and video switcher
for community events. Actually, at least 3 kits so we can do 3 program tracks
at the same time. This is including deflector host infrastructure etc.

I have some options for funding for this project (we're looking at a n*10k
euro budget here, for n<=2<=5), but if you know of additional leads to
follow let me know :)

Gr,

Koen