[hackerspaces] Looking for some insight from other S.O.O.H.

Ross Smith rsmith at i3detroit.com
Wed Feb 9 15:58:03 CET 2011

Great thread!  I second Nate's perspective on the "activity breeds
activity" strategy at i3.  It works very well for us.

At least at i3, activity, organization, and other healthy signs are
basically the outgrowth of a perceived culture.  By "perceived", I
don't mean less than real; I mean obvious.  The more obviously the
space is organized and the more obviously signs and communications are
posted, the more likely members will fall in step with the
organizational pattern that has been laid.  Activity is the same -
when your calendar looks like members from all walks of life are
stepping up to teach classes and run events, that implicitly shows
other members that they can try their hand at it.  (The corollary is
also true.  The less obvious organization, signage, and communication
are, the more likely confusion and a sense of listlessness will set
in.)

You can't have that full calendar populated by many volunteers without
the culture, and maintaining the culture of a whole group takes work
from a few committed individuals.  We have a member who stepped up to
coordinate our events, which makes it easier for any one person to
propose and then lead an event.  Because she's there to help you, you
know you aren't jumping in alone.  She's your guide to the process.
An event coordinator and promoter like this will encourage the members
who are most interested in running an event to actually do it.  It
takes a lot of her time and care, though, for which I'm very grateful
and I tell her often!

The key is that it takes a few self-starters to run the initial
events, lay the template for how events are (can/should be) done, and
help others try out this process.  The self-starting hackers who
thrive on chaos will ignore the pattern and do it their own way;
that's completely fine and you won't be able to stop them anyway.  But
for everyone else who needs a little more structure, it will be the
difference between participating with a little help and being
discouraged by what they feel they cannot do within their constraints
of time, knowledge, and even courage.  Show them how it's done and be
there to help.

--Ross