[hackerspaces] Laser cutter vs CNC router

Sam Ley sam.ley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 05:21:09 CET 2011

One big thing you can do with a CNC router that is hard to do with a laser
cutter is pocketing, or anything 3D. We built a bass guitar, rendered out by
the CNC in 3D straight from the Solidworks file using Vectric Cut3D, and a
two-sided cut. Likewise, v-carved text, embossing, etc., are all benefits of
a router.

Lasers can cut with very low kerf (good for material waste), cut thin or
delicate materials, and do fine engraving on metals and plastics.

-Sam