[hackerspaces] Laser cutter vs CNC router

Ron Bean bucketworks at rbean.users.panix.com
Tue Feb 8 04:26:31 CET 2011

While we're talking about laser cutters--
what can you do with a laser that you can't do with a CNC router?

Obviously, the laser is better for thin materials, and the router is
better for thick materials. But there's a lot of overlap there.

We've been fortunate in our scrounging, and we'll soon have one of each
(both need some work, but we're getting there). Right now the laser
only works at 1/2 power, and it needs some new bearings.