[hackerspaces] Mesh network specs

Todd todd at cruxtech.net
Wed Dec 28 11:49:48 CET 2011

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

For the mesh, I do envision as being peer to peer, the only reason to
use backhauls is because I am anticipating that we may not be able have
good enough coverage that the speed won't suck, so it should still be
peer to peer and the backhauls, of which should be few and just to make
large distance jumps,  would be transparent bridges.

I have not worked with mesh networking before, not have I had enough
routers to test anything out yet, although that will change in the next
2 weeks, I want it to be as transparent as possible to the end users,
and we will be setting up each router (with openWRT) personally, the
people who host the nodes shouldn't ever touch them. So it should work
like a normal hotspot with captive portal, at least that is what I am
hoping for.
The assumption here is that the mesh would be handing out IPs via DHCP,
or would that not work ?

For the backhaul links I am going with professional (read expensive)
hardware,

Airaya WirelessGrid-300 5 Ghz 300 Mbps with 24 dbi Panel Antennas
So it would be 802.11N for the backhauls, and 802.11G for the end users.
This is also why the routers in the mesh network should have dual radios.

The power shouldn't be an issue, or even having the routers exposed to the elements, my plan is to have the
routers indoor in the homes of the people who are hosting it, so the routers should be safe from the elements,
and the antennas would be external to the building, so any routers chosen would need to have replaceable antennas
(in this case DIR-655) although I am wondering what the max length between the antenna and the router can be for the SMA connectors ?