[hackerspaces] anti-SOPA/PIPA hackerspace action

Michael Weinberg mweinberg at publicknowledge.org
Fri Dec 23 17:07:18 CET 2011

Hi hackerspace discuss list.  This email is to reach out and see if any of
the US-based hackerspaces (at least for now) are interested in getting
involved in a campaign to stop the SOPA and PIPA bills currently pending in
Congress.

For those of you who haven't seen the chatter in the past month or so, SOPA
and PIPA are bills being pushed as anti-internet piracy bills.  In fact,
they would actually have very little impact on piracy but would have a
significant negative impact on freedom of speech online (this action page
has links to a fuller explination and more resources:
http://www.publicknowledge.org/e-parasite-stop-online-piracy-act).

My organization Public Knowledge, along with countless allies both in and
outside of Washington, DC, has been fighting hard to prevent these laws
from passing (for more history on this fight, try this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TpZJA9EIPY ).  With Congress wrapping up
for the year, it is time to move this fight back to the states and
Congressional districts.

In the hierarchy of ways to influence a member of congress, making a big
show about an issue to them when they are back in district is near the
top.  That is why we are trying to coordinate meetings between hackerspaces
and members of Congress while the members are back home.  Generally
speaking, this would involve either attending a town hall held by the
member or scheduling direct meetings between hackerspace members and the
member of Congress.

We are happy to help with straightforward ways to explain the problems with
the bills, how to set up the meetings with your member, and even what to
expect in those meetings.  What I am looking for today is hackerspaces
interested in getting involved (or even interested in thinking about
getting involved).

Congress is out of session until mid-January, so we only have a few weeks
to try and coordinate all of this.  If you are interested, please contact
me directly at mweinberg at publicknowledge.org.  Of course, I'm happy to
answer any questions or address any concerns as well.

thanks
michael

--
Michael Weinberg