[hackerspaces] Libraries make room for hackerspaces [npr article]

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Sun Dec 11 14:03:57 CET 2011

Nope, though I remember that there was a discussion involving museums a
few months (years ?) ago on the /tmp/lab discussion list.

In Grenoble, we had a sort of deal with a non-profit that offered basic
science workshops to children : we were making public classes about how
to repair a PC (bring your computer and your problem, we teach you how
to solve it) and in exchange we could have the local an evening for a
hackerspace session. It was a very nice link with the general public
"You know, if you want to see how one tinkers with electronics, we are
mounting a 3D printing machine next week.

I think it makes sense to be inside a library, but like always you just
have to find the good person who understand what this is all about.
Administrations and associations (in France at least) are very wary of
people asking for room because there are many groups looking for a local
and some of them are a bit suspicious.

Iv