[hackerspaces] are we creating a political discussion list?

Phillip Rhodes motley.crue.fan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 20:04:00 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:51 PM, nicolle n. <superherogirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> politics disgusts me, and i don't enjoy talking about it.  i see the
> formation of an even vaguely palatable government as a totally lost cause,
> not worth my time or energy.  hacking, to me, is apolitical...i do it
> because it interests me.

Politics disgusts me as well.  But I feel the sting of being denied
the freedom to make
my own choices a little too strongly to just "tune out" and not care.
When I see
politicians and their corporate overlords talking about passing laws
that would - for example - make
it a crime to disassemble and repurpose a bit of equipment that you
bought and paid for... I can't not
get worked up over that, and want to do anything I can to *try* and
effect change.

Maybe I identify a little too strongly with the main character from "V
for Vendetta," but I do know
that as disgusted as I am, and as much as I long for the freedom to be
completely apathetic about
the political scene, I just can't.  Not as long as it affects me.

Cheers,

Phil