[hackerspaces] DARPA Sponsored Hacker Space Assessment

Justis Peters justis.peters at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 19:09:25 CET 2011

On 12/06/2011 12:56 PM, Matt Joyce wrote:
> "bridging the gap between fundamental discoveries and their military use"
I think that the excerpt above from Matt's quote of the DARPA mission
largely sums up the concern that many of us have. Most of us hope that
our discoveries will never be used in a military capacity. We don't
exactly want the gap bridged sooner.

When the next nuclear fission is discovered, I'd rather have power
plants for a few decades before we have bombs.

That said, I realize the issue isn't so black and white. What if "that
other country" makes bombs before we even start thinking of it?

IMO, the real problem stems from thinking of things in terms of "us and
them". That is why I plan to treat DARPA as "us" and to remind them that
every other hackerspace in the world is also "us" and has just as much
right to benefit from our fundamental discoveries as "we" do.

Kind regards,
Justis