[hackerspaces] DARPA Sponsored Hacker Space Assessment

Will Bradley bradley.will at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 19:03:04 CET 2011

Nobody is likely to stop an undercover fed from getting info in a
hackerspace, and a non-undercover fed might even still be welcome. But to
voluntarily submit to a federal hackerspace assessment? Sorry, if you want
my address you have databases for that. Volunteering info to a fed who was
no warrant is something I'm sure the EFF would caution against.

Also, the extent to which I'm concerned about "good PR" with the feds is
easily taken care of by making sure we don't support illegal/immoral
activities (i.e. hacking into a bank) and generally projecting a good
educational image. Yes, we're open and not nefarious. No, Big Brother does
not love you.

When I hear of DARPA doing nice things I think of Enron supporting Little
League. Yeah it's nice, but its real purpose is so Enron apologists can say
"but they do so many nice things!" when someone points out that they're
evil. Also, you don't need a corporate sponsor to play baseball in the
park. In fact, supporting feel-good things is PR 101. "The CIA can't be
doing horrible things in their secret prisons, they paid for Jimmy's
college!"

It's funny that you use the word PR, because PR was invented as a way to
manipulate, influence, and "engineer consent" by Freud's nephew. His
masterpieces include A Public Relations Counsel (1927) and Propaganda
(1928). Look at his list of campaigns; quite impressive, ranging from
convincing women to smoke and establishing bacon & eggs as "All American",
to overthrowing the government of Guatemala for Chiquita, all through PR.