[hackerspaces] How is that consensus thing working out?

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 23:26:25 CEST 2011

Where consensus fails is that it depends, at least a little, on peer
pressure and hacker-types don't usually fall for peer pressure.

Where it works is when the right questions are asked and reasoned out,
and this is the hard part.  In Far's "I think Emacs sucks" vs "Emacs
Sucks" example, the latter would be followed with "why, in detail" and
then pick at the details to see if they are relevant to the item at
hand.  Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not.  When they are not,
a reasonable person will conceded.

Of course this assumes that everyone with rights for the vote is a
reasonable person, and this simply is not reality, especially when it
comes to anything that requires a financial outlay.  Arch Reactor
often has consensus, but we don't require it.  We do require more than
a simple majority.