[hackerspaces] National Fab Lab Network Act of 2010 (111-HR6003)

Ron Bean bucketworks at rbean.users.panix.com
Fri Sep 24 03:48:34 CEST 2010

It seems to me that the purpose of a "Fablab" (as opposed to a
"hackerspace") is to provide access to specific technologies that a
volunteer-run hackerspace might not have (eg laser cutter, high-res 3D
printer-- things you can't buy used because they haven't existed very
long). A Fablab also doesn't necessarily include community building as
an explicit goal (although it's likely to happen anyway).

It's not clear to me what this particular bill would to do "facilitate"
fablabs that's not already being done, or what it would do to help
places that don't have sufficient "nerd density" to support a
hackerspace.