[hackerspaces] Fwd: [CCHS] Hello from Make Hack Void

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 09:27:48 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mitch Davis <mjd at afork.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: [CCHS] Hello from Make Hack Void
To: connected-community-hackerspace at googlegroups.com

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Jonathan Oxer <jon at oxer.com.au> wrote:

> Your email highlights a particular problem that's bugged me for a while,
> but which I have no solution for: geographic isolation of hackerspaces.

Jon,

I've been thinking the same thing.

There is a "planet" which aggregates hackerspace blogs:

 http://planet.hackerspaces.org/

But it is the nature of hackerspace blogs to only have things that
hackerspaces deem worthy of publishing.  How much more cool content
happens in the form of discussions on mailing lists?

> the place - but I have no idea *what* those things are. There must be
> huge duplication of discussion and discovery happening all over the
> place.

Right on.

I have been thinking of setting up a similar aggregator, but for
hackerspace mailing list/forum posts.  The idea is that I have a bot
that signs up to hackerspace mailing lists, then someone trawls
through the posts filtering out the administrivia/excessively local
content, leaving the technical content.  This technical content would
then go to the aggregator in RSS or email form for others to sign up
to.

Passing note: At LCA2010 a bunch of hackerspace people got together
and we created this list:

 http://groups.google.com.au/group/hackerspace-discuss

Alastair was one of those present, and he's on the list, so he's
wanted to reach out for some time too.

Thoughts?

Mitch.

- Bryan