[hackerspaces] Shop tool SBU class info, fees for usage?

Ron Bean bucketworks at rbean.users.panix.com
Fri Oct 8 00:28:25 CEST 2010

Jerry Isdale <isdale at gmail.com> writes:

>I know many spaces have lasers, cnc, welding, and other equipment
>available to members. Generally members are required to take a Safety
>and Basic Use type class. SBU is the name used by TechShop for these
>type of classes. Y'all might call em something else ("Fire the
>Lazzzzor!").
>
>Can anyone share experiences, syllabus or other support materials for these
>classes?

I've asked TechShop about this, but never received a reply.
They could do the Hackerspace movement a huge favor by sharing what they
know. I wonder if they're concerned about liability.

It's an interesting chicken-and-egg problem. How do you know if you're
qualified, if there's nobody around who can evaluate you?

I don't want to take a semester-long class at a tech school for each
machine-- I can make mistakes on my own time. I just need to know I'm
not going to damage the machine, or myself.