[hackerspaces] An interesting point of view : "On Feminism and Microcontrollers"

Ron Bean bucketworks at rbean.users.panix.com
Tue Oct 5 01:23:36 CEST 2010

Matthew Forr <matthew.forr at gmail.com> writes:

>In talking with my girlfriend about this (a non-technical woman in tech) she
>explained that she doesn't fully grasp what the point/purpose/goals of a
>hackerspace are. I turned around and called it a makerspace and she
>instantly understood and then went on to describe some things she wants to
>make.

I get the impression that the first "hackerspaces" were organized around
software hacking, as opposed to the kind of hardware hacking (often
unrelated to electronics or computers) that a lot of us do now. That
meant they just had desks, electricity, and wifi (and a fridge).

A "makerspace" typically focuses on hacking atoms rather than bits
(sometimes with embedded controllers), and consequently, requires more
square feet, which in turn requires more rent money.

Feel free to come up with a better name for it...