[hackerspaces] RE : Re: Hackerspace legal formation and insurance

Matthew McCabe matt at mrmccabe.com
Wed May 26 19:03:58 CEST 2010

I have worked for a few companies that are self insured (at least for
health insurance).  It is possible, but typically requires thousands
of employees paying into the plan in order for it to be solvent.  I am
not sure we are quite there yet with hackerspaces...  Though a
community credit union and/or insurance company for orgs like
hackerspaces may be profitable if someone is willing to start it up
and take a bit of a risk...

For now, it is probably best to go with an established insurance
company for basic liability insurance (at least for us at the Austin
Hackerspace).

Thanks,
Matt