[hackerspaces] Establishing hackerspace and getting people actively involved

Christopher J. Pilkington cjp at 0x1.net
Mon May 10 18:02:25 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 05:33:40PM +0200, Koen Martens wrote:
> I would think that approaching a hackerspace in such a commercial way, with
> paid staff, has a danger in it: that the 'members' are slipping into consumer
> mode. Expecting the paid staff to take care of everything, refusing to pick

I tend to agree... in my definition, hackerspace != coworking
space/workshop.

It's like the difference between a group of enthusiastic fitness
nuts that start their own weightlifting club vs. a gym where
people sign a contract, pay their membership, and use the
hardware available.

It's all about community and collaboration, IMHO.

-cjp