[hackerspaces] Fwd: DIYbio Leuven

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 17:56:39 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Len Sassaman <Len.Sassaman at esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: DIYbio Leuven
To: diybio at googlegroups.com
Cc: kanzure at gmail.com

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Bryan Bishop wrote:

> Len, have you or Meredith visited HSBXL? How was it? What are they
> doing there, or the general story? etc.

I've been there once; Meredith has been there more often than I. I'm
actually thinking of going tonight -- they have a Tuesday night
gathering. I like the group and the vibe, though they seem more
focused on traditional hackerspace activities like electrical
engineering projects, code hacking, etc. I don't know if anyone has
brought up the idea of hosting a biohacking lab there.

To be honest, I've become to adopt the European mindset when it comes
to time and distance -- in Europe, 100 km is a long way; in the US,
100 years is a long time... so, getting to Brussels is often a
challenge of motivation for me. (The trains ceasing to run around
midnight is a bummer too, but usually there's someone driving back to
Leuven, at least on Tuesdays.)

I'd love to see a Leuven hackerspace that I could just drop into from
time to time, but so far I haven't really found a community of
sufficient size to really start one -- Leuven is 1/3 undergrads by
population, who disappear on weekends to take their laundry home to
their parents, and leave the town feeling like a ghost town during the
holidays. That said, I randomly shared a bus ride with someone doing
arduino hacking for an optics project he was working on yesterday, so
I know the right people are here -- it's just a matter of getting
sufficient momentum going.

--Len.

--
- Bryan