[hackerspaces] Hackerspace legal formation and insurance

Nick Farr (hackerspaces.org) nick at hackerspaces.org
Tue Jun 1 22:01:36 CEST 2010

The problem with D&O for organizations without investors is that the
polices almost never pay out, if they ever get invoked.  The policies
are more or less a deep pocket for larger entities to help avoid more
costly shareholder litigation.

Ask any of those MBAs and/or Laywers one instance where a D&O policy
paid out for a non-profit and what the circumstance was.  I'm actually
curious, because in all the states I've worked, I've never seen an
organization carry one let alone hear of one claim where the policy
actually covered a definable loss or judgment.

Philippe and Koen are largely correct...but this is no reason to not
carry insurance as required by one's lessors.

--
Nick Farr / http://nickfarr.org / 8B13F204
Washington, DC, 20013-1208