[hackerspaces] [armin at easynet.co.uk: Re: [Bricolabs] Digital Inclusion???]

Hellekin O. Wolf hellekin at hackerspaces.org
Wed Feb 24 12:08:54 CET 2010

Here, Armin medosch reports on a recent international conference held
in Vienna about the future of education, and especially the "need" for
every pupil to have his own laptop.

What frightens me, and why I forward this contribution to our list, is
that prominent proprietary software companies are actively lobbying to
get their logo into the classroom, without any plan whatsoever
regarding how the laptops should be used, or how they could be misused
in education. They target poor countries, as well as young children.

The corporate world is short-cicuiting the democratic process. Instead
of a public debate involving the population, we have a nice room full
of grey people pushing for one device per pupil, period. Here, once
again, reflection is replaced by the imperative for economic outcomes.
What a wonderful market those children. Their number keeps growing,
and they will become in turn consumers, and maybe, for some of them,
producers. What do they learn in the meantime? That This-Company(TM)
put them on the track out of poverty, maybe, in the best case. On
public spending of course.

What about free software? Literacy? DIY? Grassroots initiatives? I'm
surprised that this kind of international meeting can happen after the
Free Culture Forum Charter has been released. Well, not surprised
entirely, but certainly disappointed that it didn't reach the
educational world yet--although you know how much good I think of
top-down initiatives anyway.

==
hk

----- Forwarded message from Armin Medosch <armin at easynet.co.uk> -----