[hackerspaces] hackerspace awards

Mark Huson mehuman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 17:06:39 CET 2010

I disagree. I see open competition as a great way to create multiple
solutions to a similar problem, at least with smaller projects. If we look
to the opensource community, and i'll point to linux distros in particular,
we see many different distros all competing for an install base. Each distro
is bringing something unique but all that uniqueness is open so any other
distro may copy that and incorporate it into their code.

What i propose are competitions that are open, so we still get the
innovation that competition can create yet still have the collaboration we
all want. A good example is a contest run by seeed studio to develop a
project for their rainbowduino. The rules stated that all projects code and
schematics had to be available at the end for everyone to share.
http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=441
*I do not work for nor am I affiliated with seeed studio*

I don't see competition promoting elitism if everything is opened in the
end. Competition is not mutually exclusive of collaboration it can be strong
driver to innovate even if the only reward is the acknowledgment of other
hackers.

-Mark
Baltimore Node