[hackerspaces] revspace and randomdata in the news re wikileaks ddos story

Koen Martens gmc at har2009.org
Sun Dec 19 03:45:48 CET 2010

Hello again,

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 06:32:11PM +0100, Koen Martens wrote:
> Just thought i'd share this with you people:
>
> http://bit.ly/dlufWO
>
> it's a google translation of a dutch article on ict news website
> 'webwereld' ('webworld').
>
> It turned out the arrested young man who was involved with the
> ddos campaign against mastercard and paypal was someone we have
> seen in our space a few times, and who hung out on our irc channel.
>
> We see this as an opportunity to bring a positive story about hackers,
> and plan on organising a workshop/discussion around 'ethical hacking'.
> We will invite press there. We expect to announce all this on
> monday.

Well, just a short update (sorry for re-hijacking this thread to
its original subject, i hate to distract people from a good
flamewar).

In the past week i've been contacted by a lot of media, been on
national television and various radio stations and talked to
a bunch of newspapers.

Today we had a very well attended meeting. About 100 persons
showed up, even though people were adviced by the national
motorist association to stay at home due to severe winter
weather. The meeting was about 'ethical hacking':

https://foswiki.sonologic.nl/RevelationSpace/EthischHacken

(dutch and english content)

Allthough we did not really get an answer to whether the ddos
attacks are ethical, it was a stimulating event with lots of
different opinions. We had numerous guests, varying from a
member of the european parliament to lawyers. Also a bunch
of hackers, and some press (national television and AP).

Subjects varied from the laws regarding networks, telecommunication
infrastructure and computer systems to political activism. From
case studies in ethical hacking to a call to arms.

I think everyone learned something today.

I believe we succesfully have conveyed what being a hacker means
to us, and made a very appreciable effort in dispelling the
equasion of ddos with hacking.

Just thought i'd let you know. Audio recordings are available,
most of it is in dutch but two of the sessions are in english:

http://signal.hackerspaces.org/echtehackers/

Gr,

Koen