[hackerspaces] Translating word 'hackerspace' to other languages?

Jarkko Moilanen Jarkko.Moilanen at uta.fi
Sat Aug 28 13:32:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

The following might sound childish, but respecting own language (as
well as other languages) is fundamental to some of us, at least for me.

I was wondering how people from non-English speaking countries have
translated the word 'hackerspace'? The issue has been around among
Finnish hackers for several months and we can't seem to find a
solution to this. We need to talk about hackerspaces is Finnish to
non-hackers and alike and a good word is definitely needed. Some
Finnish hackers use term 'hacklab' but it is not Finnish. Everyone
knows that direct translation hardly ever works.

How to translate hackerspace to single and similar striking word in
other languages? Of course we can use longer term or give an
explanation, which we do, but that is not ideal. I bet others have
found solutions to this situation. Could you give us some light or
direction how to solve this issue? Or is it just a question of time; a
suitable word will just pop up?

Oh! and sorry if I wasted your time (and inbox space) with this
ridiculous non-technical question ;)

cheers,
Jarkko

  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
  Founder of Hackerspace 5w, Finland, Tampere - 5w.fi