[hackerspaces] Linux courses

tetsu yatsu tetsuharu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 01:19:15 CEST 2009

My personal suggestions:

Give them an immediate application, something they do anyway that
could be made easier, for instance:
academic things: mass-downloading pdfs, mirroring websites, converting
PDFs and other images, mass-mailing, using 'grep' to locate valuable
information at-a-glance
leisurely things: downloading youtube videos, mass-downloading youtube
videos, converting mp3s and video files, downloading porn (assuming
your students are 18+ :)

Computers are fantastic for iterating over sets of things. Windows
just isn't very good at giving you that ability. Once someone realizes
'if I just loop through this for i = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,
and download all of them, then I'll have TEN porno videos instead of
1!', they'll be hooked.

Give em something to satisfy their need for computational automation
and benefit. Write simple small scripts that do what they want to do
that are long enough to be useful but short enough to be easy to
comprehend.

Other than that... teach them to mass import their data into MySQL,
and manipulate it with PHPMyAdmin.

These are things I've known that entice people.