[hackerspaces] Housing other organizations in the hackerspace

Paul Boehm paul at boehm.org
Fri Sep 25 21:39:00 CEST 2009

Hey David,

The guiding principle behind our policies at Metalab was always to be
supported by a broad paying membership base and avoiding concentration
of power (in individuals, groups, and sponsors).

If you give special privileges to one group, or receive bigger amounts
of money from one organization, you are bound to lose independence,
since that group will have interests of their own and a more
coordinated way to push that agenda.

We've unfortunately learned some lessons about with syndicated power
structures before, so when starting metalab we already knew we didn't
want any organizations to have that power over us. E.g. i'd suggest
not having organizations that pay metalab membership dues for their
members, instead of letting their members also be members of metalab.
hosting them for free, but requiring that they at least have some
(1-2) metalab members who play the ambassador was a better solution.

You won't be able to accomodate some groups in that fashion, but
that's not the end of the world. If there's not enough room for them
to hold their meetings without special privilege, I'd rather focus on
growing the community and getting a bigger space altogether.

Enki