[hackerspaces] FPGA Workshop 4: Behind the Scenes (November 8)

Sébastien Bourdeauducq sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net
Wed Oct 21 15:18:33 CEST 2009

FPGA Workshop 4: Behind the Scenes
=======================

DESCRIPTION
In the previous workshops, we have seen that FPGAs can emulate any logic
circuit without moving (mechanical) parts.

FPGAs are however not magic nor mystical devices and this workshop will shed
light on how they work internally. After theoretical explanations on their
functioning, we will program them very close to the "bare silicon" by
configuring manually each logic element on the chip, without any Verilog or
schematics.

This will give you a better understanding of the challenges involved with
writing open source programming tools, reverse engineering existing FPGA
designs, injecting backdoors into FPGA bitstreams, and squeezing the most
performance out of an FPGA chip.

PREREQUISITES
For the hands-on part:
* Bring your laptop
* IMPORTANT: Install Xilinx ISE. The installation takes a long time that we
cannot waste during the workshop.
* Bring a Xilinx FPGA board such as the Avnet Spartan-3A starter kit used in
previous workshops.
* The board must have a Xilinx FPGA. Boards with non-Xilinx chips cannot be
used.
* Your board must have at least 2 pushbuttons and 2 LEDs.
* Bring any required programming (JTAG) cable and try to make sure that it
works (driver installed etc.) before coming.

You can come to the workshop without a board, but obviously you might be
unable to perform the manipulations yourself.

PRACTICAL INFO
* Venue: /tmp/lab (www.tmplab.org/contact) near Paris, France