[hackerspaces] What form of organization does your hackerspace use?

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Mon Oct 5 23:07:02 CEST 2009

Hi Nick,

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:29:49PM -0400, Nick Farr (hackerspaces.org) wrote:
> To help spaces review various forms of organization, I've come up with a
> loose framework of five different styles of spaces that I've observed:
>
>    1. Anarchy <http://blog.hackerspaces.org/#anarchy>
>    2. The Angels <http://blog.hackerspaces.org/#angels>
>    3. The Owner <http://blog.hackerspaces.org/#owner>
>    4. The Board <http://blog.hackerspaces.org/#board>
>    5. The Membership <http://blog.hackerspaces.org/#membership>
>
> I suspect that most spaces fall into the "Membership" category, but I'm most
> curious about spaces that take on a different form that might more closely
> fit into one of the other four categories.
>
> To that end, which category do you think your space falls under and what are
> the advantages and disadvantages of it?  Hopefully I can gather enough input
> to make better informed posts on alternative forms of hackerspace
> organization.

As you might remember, we from revspace (den haag) were in doubt about the
structure to choose. In the end we settled for the 'stichting', basically
number four, mixed with elements of a 'vereniging', number 5. The board
is ultimately responsible, however we define 'participants' that have the
right to install and deinstall the board, as well as advise the board
Participants also get a key to the space and usage of the
facilities. Of course, there are also obligations. Anyway, that's it in a
nutshell.

Gr,

Koen