[hackerspaces] Size question

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 01:26:44 CET 2009

tetsu,
IMHO,  There are about 6 core characteristics of a hackerspace* and to
be a hackerspace a group should be 5 or 6 of those.  Also IMHO,
Hackerspaces.org should err on the side of inclusion, and maybe should
go for spaces that even have fewer hits. So commercial companies are a
maybe.

That said, Pokono isn't a space at all. It's not hands-on at all. At
the most friendly, it's in the class of Etsy or something, as a
commercial company doing good, with a lot of fans, but even that
(again IMHO) doesn't come close to putting it in spitting distance of
hackerspace.

So, empowered as I am as a member of this awesome distributed
community . I de-listed their size/members/cost info (which was moot
anyway, and throws off the data set), listed their status to
'commercial company' and left their entries there.

I agree, there is a lot of grey, and a lot of lines, and in this one
case, the company isn't even near the grey area.**

- Far

*Core goals/characteristics of a hackerspace.
   1. Owned and operated by it’s members in a spirit of equality.
   2. Is a nonprofit organization, and open to the outside world on a
(semi)regular basis.
   3. Shares tools, equipment and ideas without discrimination.
   4. A strong emphasis on technology and invention.
   5. Has shared space (or is working on a space) as a center of the community.
   6. A strong spirit of invention and science, based on trial, error,
and freely sharing information.

**And their freaking page was just 1 sentence about 'we have free
meetups'  Way to populate data folks,