[hackerspaces] How to raise money to support your group

David Raison david at hackerspace.lu
Sun Jun 21 11:20:55 CEST 2009

Hi Luis,

We're not having ads or something like that, mainly because we can't
argue against data mining, data retention and the like and then use
google adsense...

We're mainly selling shirts and other apparel
(http://syn2cat.spreadshirt.net/en/DE/Shop), which isn't a huge source
of income but it's still ok. We earned like 52 € last month and are up
to 17 € this month.
However, I need to confess that Steve and I are probably our best
customers ourselves ;)

We're still looking into funding, occasionally
(https://www.hackerspace.lu/wiki/Funding) although funding for
cultural projects seems not to be very higly valued. Grants from the
EU are almost always bound to specific requirements which we'll
probably not ever be able to fulfill.

Vienna for example seems to be a much better turf in that regard with
several funding organisations on different levels (city, county, state)

D.

Luis Gustavo Lira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am curious whether any of the hackerspaces projects subscribed to
> the list are successfully using Ads or other kind of advertising their
blogs/sites to raise money to support their ongoing efforts. If anyone
has experience with approaching corporations or foundations for money to
sustain projects in exchange for ads on their site. Another way to think
about it is whether projects can make money offering services. I'm doing
some research on sustainability and fundraising.

> We are using adsence and amazon on our blogs however our founds sources
are the traditional, usually International NGOs with local chapters in
Peru as Ashoka, Lemelson, NESsT, Tecnoserve, etc.

> http://scitechbizdev.blogspot.com/

- --
Building a Hackerspace in Luxembourg!
syn2cat Hackerspace.lu A.S.B.L.
http://www.hackerspace.lu
mailto:david at hackerspace.lu
xmpp:kwisatz at jabber.hackerspaces.org
voip: +352 20 333 501
mobile: +43 650 73 63 834 | +352 691 44 23 24
***
Wear your geek: http://syn2cat.spreadshirt.net