[hackerspaces] Interconnecting Semantic Media Wikis (HSF round-table topic)

Bartosz Kostrzewa zoombat at runbox.com
Thu Jul 2 11:22:59 CEST 2009

Hellekin O. Wolf (/tmp/lab) wrote:
> /tmp/lab is running a MW too, without the semantic extension. Should be
> available soon though.
>
> I put the http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Projects page online for indication
> of what we'd like to have. Where do you think automation could kick in with
> regards to the Semantic Wiki extension?

Hi,

#short info

All the short info you listed in the linked wikipage can be completely
automated, as long as we manage to establish some standard regarding tags.

#detailed info

I don't think detailed project information should be transferred to
hackerspaces.org since that is reproduced on the given hackerspace's
wiki page anyway. A link to the original page should be more than enough
IMHO as a source for detailed info.

#participation, join etc..

Methods for joining projects should probably not be on hackerspaces.org
because they're specific to the HS you're participating in. Having said
that, adding "participant" tags to SMW is easy and these can be pulled
from the DB for display at hackerspace.org.

At syn2cat we have "who" and "head" tags. (head is the main project
contact). Up to now we've used "who" as an indication of who the project
is for ('everyone' is almost all cases), but who's participating
probably makes more sense.

#notes and problems

There's a slight problem in that some spaces (such as Bochum AFAIK) run
a multilingual wiki so I'm not sure how to deal with that.

Another problem is grouping: many projects will be available at
different hackerspaces at the same time (such as the reprap). I suppose
the page could be structured as such:

Category
	Subcategory
		SubSubCaterogy
			HS1
				* project A
				* project B
				* project C
			HS2
				* project C
				* project D
				* project E

Or, if spaces hosting the same / similar projects can agree on common
naming schemes:

Category
	Subcategory
		SubSubCategory