[hackerspaces] Hello? Is this thing on?

Rodney Arne Karlsen rodney at strangeminds.org
Mon Sep 22 08:11:01 CEST 2008

Hi there

Rodney Karlsen(SmilyBorg) here from Durban, South Africa. I am in the process
of setting up a hackerspace called Ductape(http://www.ductape.co.za) here
along with some other guys I know. From what I can see on the
hackerspaces.org map, we might be the first hackerspace in Africa.

I have been watching the videos and listening to audio from The Last Hope
conference and was inspired to get our local guys together. Last Tuesday was
our first meeting with 11 guys showing up. Interest seems to be growing but
time will tell how we stabilize things.

Unfortunately we don't have many conferences around here. We had a BarCamp a
few years ago that we will hopefully resurrect into a more regular event. I'm
hoping to be able to save enough over the next 2 years in order to attend The
Next Hope and maybe Defcon in 2010.

Glad to see that there are others alive on this list ;-)

On Sunday 21 September 2008 22:54:49 Nick Farr (HacDC) wrote:
> Is this thing on?  Did I completely miss the round of introductions?
>
> If so, hi, I'm Nick Farr.  I help run HacDC (http://hacdc.org), a
> hackerspace in Washington, DC in the US.
>
> I also like to go around to conferences, help inspire people to build
> hackerspaces, and reply to e-mail that is two months old. ;)
>
> NDF

Rodney Arne Karlsen
AKA SmilyBorg
LPIC-2, Linux+
Cellphone: 083 445 0720
Skype-In: +1 864 641 1472
Website: http://smilyborg.za.net/
MSN Messenger: rodney at strangeminds.org
Google Talk: rodney.karlsen at gmail.com
Skype: SmilyBorg

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute,
and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty
girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute.
That's relativity. - Albert Einstein